Monday, June 13, 2016

Anselm's Short Ballade (An Addition to "The Apology Box")

              Anselm’s Short Ballade

I’m unsurprised that mind persists although
The body drops extinguished.  Nothing may
Be perfect but the Lord.  That being so,
Death must be flawed and therefore cannot stay
The intellect forever lest we say
Death is invincible and perfect, too.
I can’t consistently speak such a way,
Lord.  Reason will not let me turn from you.

Nor could I doubt your being, Lord, although
You did not show your face.  God is, we say,
The greatest thing conceivable.  That so,
God must exist since absent things, we say,
Are less.  Should God not be, that opens way
To something greater:  God plus being, too.
But nothing’s greater.  Logic shows the way,
Lord.  Reason will not let me turn from you.

And thus I kneel in hopeful prayer you’ll say,
“Come follow me as well in heaven, too.”
I cannot rise until you’ve shown the way,
Lord. Reason will not let me turn from you. 


© Harold Anthony Lloyd 2016
The current contents of "The Apology Box" can be found here.

 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment