Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Old Testament & Same-Sex Separation Anxiety




The Old Testament contains powerful examples of deep affection between those of the same sex.  David tells Jonathan: “very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.” (2 Samuel 1:26).  Ruth tells Naomi: “whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.” (Ruth 1:16).  As the halves of each pair would enter Heaven at different times, I wondered how they might address the separation and the fear that one or both might not be admitted.  Of course, these sonnets are my words, not theirs.  As such, and being a Wildcat, I couldn’t avoid language suggesting joinder of #DavidsonCollege and light.  Alenda Lux Ubi Orta Libertas!

                 Jonathan’s Sonnet

There was no color in the world before
That radiant beam of David made its sweep
Uncovering brilliant colors to adorn
The muted grays and darks the shadows keep.

I tore my armor off.  I made him wear
That metal once he left.  One had to guard
That David sun of sweeping light.  As there
Was mettle in me still and it was hard,

I gave up nothing giving things away--
How fluid is that calculus of love
That adds without subtracting!  True above
No less, I lose no motion should I stay

At Heaven’s doors till David comes.  I’ll seize
That torch he bears and seize what rapture sees.

                   Ruth's Sonnet

The Potter's never spun from other clay
A grander porcelain.  Naomi's face
Is rivaled only by the pure display
Of beauty in her heart.  There is no place

With means to have her that would sacrifice
Such priceless art—which means of course that she
Must stay forever in this Paradise
Which lacking her no Paradise could be.

By as-good logic, Paradise would break
Without me, too:  I’ve sworn to follow her,
And any place requiring that I break
Such vow is flawed.  Since God’s own place can’t err,

It opens wide judicious high gates to
Embrace its Ruth as paradise must do.

Q.E.D.



© Harold Anthony Lloyd 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment